Secret information about new fighter jets, navy vessels and surveillance aircraft has been stolen from an Australian defence contractor.
The hackers had “full and unfettered access” to the information for four months last year, before the Australian Signals Directorate was tipped about the breach in November.
Christopher Pyne, the defence industry minister, has admitted he has no idea who the hackers were but has stressed the stolen information was commercially sensitive rather than “classified” military information.
“It could be one of a number of different actors,” Pyne told the ABC on Thursday. “It could be a state actor, a non-state actor.”
Mitchell Clarke, the Australian Signals Directorate incident response manager, told a conference in Sydney on Wednesday the hackers had targeted a small “mum and dad type business”, an aerospace engineering company with about 50 employees, in July last year.
Source: The Guardian