Barcelona attack van driver on the run


Police are on the hunt for the driver of a van that crashed into a crowd in Barcelona, killing at least 13 people and injuring more than 100.

President of the Catalan region Carles Puigdemont told local radio there is at least one “terrorist still out there” and that “we don’t have information regarding the capacity to do more harm”.

Former head of National Counter-Terrorism Security Office Chris Philips told Sky News: “As long as there are areas outstanding, the police will be desperate to bring them in.”

The white van mounted the pavement of Las Ramblas, the main tourist area in the city, and hit dozens of people on Thursday afternoon.

Three people have so far been arrested over the attack – but the driver of the vehicle is said to have fled on foot.

He has been identified by Spanish news agency EFE as Moussa Oukabir.

He is the younger brother of Driss Oukabir, whose ID was used to rent the van and whose photo police released in the aftermath of the attack.

Driss Oukabir is a Moroccon national who was from Marseille. A Facebook account says he lives in Ripoll, Catalonia, about 50 miles north of Barcelona.

He claims his brother stole his ID and reportedly handed himself in to the police station at Ripoll after he saw his photo in the media. He said he was in Ripoll at the time of the attack.

Source: Sky News

Related Story: Second Spain terror attack in Cambrils after Barcelona rampage